I've been thinking a lot about the American Dream, and wondering just what that means for my life.
In American society, there is pressure to reach certain goals. You know the ones I mean...
Two story house, white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a dog. The husband heads off to work in the city, while his wife stands on the front lawn waving him goodbye, anticipating his return. And we are told that if you achieve this (particularly before the age of 30) that your life will feel fulfillment. That you will find purpose and happiness and joy and love and... and...
Now, clearly, that description was a little facetious. The American Dream of today is much more complex than that. But you get the idea. The real question though, is why does it seem so hard for people to feel fulfilled, when so many people do in fact achieve the things we include in this "American Dream".
At one time, the couple in Revolutionary Road (a film I highly recommend if you're ready to be confronted with some tough images) were young, idealistic, and dreamed of a big life together. They longed for adventure, for passion, for love. But somewhere along the way, they lost themselves in the American Dream and their lives somehow came up short- despite the fact that they'd gained everything that the world told them would bring satisfaction.
In their own right, the elements that make up the American Dream are not really the problem. Marriage, careers, children, and a place to call home are blessings. But it seems too easy to get caught up in the logistics and material goal points. To spend our days keeping up with our neighbors and the people around us. In the process of chasing "the dream" I think that we lose something special- our very ability to do so!
As I prepare to enter seminary people are always asking me, "What do you want to do with that?" Honestly, I have no idea how it's going to work out! And the reason is because I think life is lived best without making my own specific plans, and instead, allowing space for God to shape, mold, and move me into places that I never dreamed of going myself. To instead, let my dreams be a blank canvas on which God can paint!
In Him, I believe that I can find the ultimate fulfillment. A fulfillment that is dependent solely on my growing relationship with him, and the process of learning to let my dreams match His.
Left to my own devices, I would simply settle for white picket fences.
This was a good read Storm! I think I have a very hard time wanting to fight all those "American Dream" things b/c you're right they aren't bad. But I don't want to concede to the idea so that makes me dislike the actual things. Make sense?
ReplyDeleteYeah. That makes sense for sure. I think its hard to disassociate the dissatisfaction that the "things" can bring us, with actual "things" themselves. I think it really comes down to an inner heart issue. And for sure a relationship issue with the Lord, wherever we may be at in life.
ReplyDelete