Quote


The outpourings of one soul to an endless sea of others.


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crying a River

For weeks now, my best friend has been pestering me to set goals for 2011. But for some reason, this year I have been entirely resistant to the idea.

Why? I can't quite say.

Perhaps it's because I am feeling lazy. Or perhaps it is because at this moment, my 2011 seems so vague and unclear that I find it impossible to imagine what kind of goals would be appropriate. Aside from the typical "Lose 10 pounds" sort of goal, and we all know how successful goals like that can be, don't we?

Tonight, she offered me an alternative. What if I chose just one word that would define my new year? One word that I want to infuse into every new decision, every new endeavor, and every new relationship.

This intrigued me. But what should word should I choose?

The past few weeks, I've done nothing but cry. In fact, I've probably cried enough to actually put real, running water into the LA river. And anyone who's spent time in LA knows that's a feat in and of itself.

I've entered a phase of life where God is challenging me in every way possible. Financially, relationally, and spiritually.

I am often scared.
I am often anxious.
I am often weary.

I don't say any of this for sympathy, it's just the honest truth. And so, without answers and without hesitancy, I feel that there is only one word I can choose as I enter 2011...

Trust.

Simple, yet absolutely necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is great, Stormie! And I think all of us twenty-somethings trying to figure out how to have a meaningful life in the "real world" can really relate! - Patty

    ReplyDelete