10 Lessons, 10 Quotes
As one chapter in my life comes to a close and a new one begins, I feel like a reflection on the past few years as a campus minister is important. And, how better to express these lessons learned than through quotes from my favorite movies. They're in no particular order. :)
1. "How can we expect to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?" - Zoolander
The key to fulfilled expectations is clear communication. I learned this the hard way. Again, and again, and again. And again.
2. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." - Gone with the Wind
You cannot make everyone happy. Especially in ministry. You must remember whose opinions you value the most and learn to let the others go. Just follow after God, and do your best.
3. "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." - Casablanca
Ministry is all about relationships. Both vertical and horizontal. They bring support, healing, laughter, love, purpose... the list goes on and on.
4. "There's no place like home!" - Wizard of Oz
A Christian community can be like family. You always love them, but you don't always like them. Although my community felt ever changing at the BSU with people graduating and moving on, it was a home to me. I will always be grateful.
5. "I see dead people." - The Sixth Sense
Sometimes in ministry you shouldn't be afraid to see things that most people don't see. Breaking norms, finding and supporting new vision- these things bring new life to the Church.
6. "Houston, we have a problem." - Apollo 13
Waiting to give voice to problems = danger. Be willing to accept constructive criticism, and learn to be a quick problem solver...... definitely still working on this one.
7. "I'll have what she's having." - When Harry Met Sally
Despite how much I love this line, I'm using it in reverse. I think that it's important to find satisfaction in the things God puts in front of you. We spend so much time seeking after what other people have- success, families, marriage, houses, etc. Why not be grateful and content with what God has already given you?
8. "Nobody puts baby in a corner" - Dirty Dancing
Don't try to keep people in the corner. Allow other people the chance to shine. In ministry, the Church succeeds the most when people are given a chance to fulfill their giftings. It's how we all win. It's not about one, its about THE One.
9. "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." - The Godfather
Unlike the Godfather, learning the art of compromise can go a long way to smooth the ministry work environment. It's a team effort. If you are so set on getting your way, chances are the ministry will get the short end of the stick.
10. "You fight the fights that need fighting." - The American President
Maybe this seems contradictory following number 9. But the truth remains. Fight the fights that need fighting. Use discernment. Listen to God's direction. And do so with grace and humility.
There you have it. Some things I've learned, and some things I'm still working on. I love the process of refinement. :)
That was fabulous! Self reflection is a wonderful gift! Congrats on all you do!
ReplyDeletei didnt know you had a blog :-P i like reading them...but my last post was a year ago. haha
ReplyDelete